Sunday, March 18, 2012

Week 47 and the Garden Project 2012

Ahh spring time and warm weather...

EDIT: At the time this blog entry was posted I had a Youtube video here. That has been removed but I want the rest of my content to be remain. Nothing hidden no past mistakes ignored. All out in the open.


Some of you might wonder why I talk about psychology and philosophy so much with investing and trading. I have been on a LOT of online communities. I see new people trying their hand and making money on their own. Far too often I see the same repeating cycle. They hit a few obstacles and get discouraged. If this was a day job they would have their boss as a mentor to teach them what to do and how to overcome mistakes. Coworkers who know what to do show you the tricks of the trade.

For the retail investor and trader? It can be daunting and at times lonely that you are doing this on your own. Coming up with tricks to keep yourself going and talking with others, networking, is critical.

Weekly Activity
$100 deposit into Trading
$1.08 dividend from O

Model Portfolio Totals

Trading Account: $1,093.39
Estimated Monthly Income: $0 (Not ready to trade until Phase 1 completed)
Max loss per trade (1% of account): $10.93
Portfolio stop (3% account): $32.80

Investing Account: $2,641.73
Estimated Monthly Income: $7.75 ($0.188 from DRIP)
Stock
     ABT: $0.76 income/month
     WMT: $0.58 income/month ($0.004 from DRIP)
Energy
     COP: $0.77 income/month ($0.007 from DRIP)
     ERF: $1.74 income/month ($0.052 from DRIP)
REITs
     O: $1.08 income/month ($0.027 from DRIP)
Bonds
     JNK: $1.67 income/month ($0.070 from DRIP)
     PCY: $1.14 income/month ($0.030 from DRIP)
Maneuvering Cash: $800

Savings Account: $1,300
Emergency: $1,000
Portfolio Protection
     Trading Account: $50
     Investing Account: $250
CDs: $0



Disclaimer: The investments and trades in my videos and blog entries are not recommendations for others. I am not a financial planner, financial advisor, accountant, or tax adviser. The financial actions I talk about are for my own portfolio and money and only suited for my own risk tolerance, strategy, and ideas. Copying another person's financial moves can lead to large losses. Each person needs to do their due diligence in researching and planning their own actions in the financial markets.

6 comments:

  1. What are "DRIP" shares ? And when can we get pics of the garden ? :-p

    ReplyDelete
  2. DRIP is Dividend Re-Investment Plan. Most companies will allow you to buy shares directly from them without having to use a broker. You get to then choose if you want your dividend paid in cash or extra shares.

    In this day and age many brokers will also allow you to do this. You get the dividend as cash in your account then the broker goes and buys shares for you off the open market commission free.

    The net result is partial shares going out 4 decimals points that start compounding the next dividend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As for the garden...
    I need to get a Flip or some other mobile camera. Last year I didn't take any pics but I think this year it could be fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohh ok , that would allow one to purchase small chunks of stock ($100 for instance) each week without absorbing a commission fee. I wondered how you were doing that. I use ameritrade so I have to save up and buy bigger chunks. Thx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohh i think I misunderstood you there. So the dividends you receive are automatically reinvested for you and there's no charge for that right? I'll have to look in to that since I'm nowhere near retirement age and don't need the cash. thx again

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes there is no charge for that in most cases. I drip Walmart shares for example. On Jan 6th this year i got .260 Walmart shares added to my account, instead of the $15.30 cash paid out on December 7th 2011.

    ReplyDelete