Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Resources page

Let's face it, investing takes record keeping and data management. There is fundamental data of a company, stock and dividend history, and non fundamental general information of a company (products they sell etc). On top of that, earning season comes every three months. Do you remember what they did last quarter and what your company's goals were this quarter to see if they are on track or failing? Multiply that by a dozen or two companies that you own and you can quickly find yourself with a mess.

To help with this problem I've created a Resources page. It will hold the various websites and tools I use for my own research. I remember what its like when you first start out in investing. You see blogs and articles discussing these complex and detailed reviews of companies and you have no idea where they get all their data let alone how they actually review a company.

I feel its important for retail, do-it-yourself, investors to share how they do their research so that we can learn from one another. There are terrible websites and resources out there that are more interested in making money then offering a good service. Some of them are free but they are lacking in features or usefulness. The good online resources are rare and should be shared.

I'll also be listing companies that I have researched and my review of them. Not all of them will be ones I own shares in but they are ones that I feel warranted intensive research and study. My initial research takes a long time to get an understanding of the company. Then afterwards it's just quick upkeep of updating any numbers that change. Its not like Coca Cola (KO) is going to drastically change from one quarter to the next.

Its important to me to share this with others as a way of sharing process. What each investor looks at as being important will be different. You'll find things that others do that you hadn't thought of that you bring into your own process. If nothing else you might pick up some interesting tidbit you didn't know about your company. I've taken a lot of great ideas from others that I have followed and found it incredibly useful.


Disclaimer: The investments and trades discussed are not recommendations for others. I am not a financial planner, financial advisor, accountant, or tax adviser. The financial actions I talk about are for my own portfolio and money and only suited for my own risk tolerance, strategy, and ideas. Copying another person's financial moves can lead to large losses. Each person needs to do their due diligence in researching and planning their own actions in the financial markets.

No comments:

Post a Comment