Monday, September 19, 2011

Week 21 Deposit

Quite a bit going on with the Model Portfolio...


EDIT: At the time this blog entry was posted I had a Youtube video here. That has been removed but I want the rest of my content to be remain. Nothing hidden no past mistakes ignored. All out in the open.






As I mentioned, there is a lot going on. I sit here waiting for my Investing Goals video to compile and I will have to split it into two videos. Windows Movie Maker is not liking the 16 minutes I have so far. I have another video on entrepreneurship that occurred to me today while at lunch. That's pushing others I had planned back to next week. Its an exciting time and things are starting to move that I want to share.

The Investing account numbers are income per month. If its quarterly they I will average it out per month. If its a bond fund that tends to fluctuate its dividends then I will use the average of the past twelve trailing months. The point here is to compare what each one is paying so that I know where to add more money.

One last note. On the Investing tab I have moved the commissions into the cost basis section. The way Sharebuilder works is that you say how much you want to apply towards an order. They take the commission out of that and then use the rest to buy whatever can be had. That is different from other brokers where you buy X number of shares and whatever it costs is taken out of your account and then afterwards they take more money out for the commission. For free trades on Sharebuilder the cost is still the same it just means that you get a little bit more for your order.
Since it is so different and my cost basis is all nice and neat at an even $250 for each one I felt it important to share that.

Edit: Alright you guys are pretty sharp and observant so I'll mention a slight edit. I changed ERF from a stock to energy classification. The reason? It gets it's profit from commodities: oil and natural gas. This is a different type of income source then those generated from a traditional stock that has a customer base where  they sell a service or finished product.
I'll be talking about ERF this week but since technically I did purchase it last week I needed to record its data.



Weekly Activity
$100 deposit into Trading
$1.16 dividend from O
$1.77 dividend from JNK


Model Portfolio Totals

Trading Account: $300
Estimated Monthly Income: $0 (Not ready to trade until Phase 1 completed)
Max amount in Forex trade (20% of account): $60
Max loss per trade (2% of account): $6

Investing Account: $1363.43
Estimated Monthly Income: $5.74
Stock
Energy
     ERF: $1.68
REITs
     O: $1.05
Bonds
     JNK: $1.84
     PCY: $1.17
     TLT: $250 reserved for future purchase
Maneuvering Cash: $110.03

Savings Account: $400
Emergency: $300
Portfolio Protection: $100
CDs: $0
Precious Metals: $0



Disclaimer: The investments and trades in my videos and blog entries are not recommendations for others.
I am not a financial planner, financial advisor, accountant, or tax adviser. The financial actions I talk about are for my own portfolio and money and only suited for my own risk tolerance, strategy, and ideas. Copying another person's financial moves can lead to large losses. Each person needs to do their due diligence in researching and planning their own actions in the financial markets.

3 comments:

  1. Since you are with Sharebuilder, are these stocks currently have the DRIP turned on? If so, are you going to say in these weekly deposit videos that you gain x.xxx new shares of stock company abc

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are going to be on with DRIP.

    On the weekly updates I will just show the free income generated by the free shares. If I were to show the free DRIP shares I would have the same problem as when I showed shares. I am showing data that isn't the goal of the portfolio.

    I'll have it on the spreadsheet on the Investing page. It is important/interesting to keep track.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you rock. thank you for the encouragement the last couple of weeks, it is appreciated.

    ReplyDelete