Thursday, October 6, 2011

Garden Project: September Update

Seeing as I talked about budgeting and freeing up free cash flow for the Model Portfolio, this week seemed like a great time to give an update on the garden. September has passed and its coming down to the wire for my garden.

There was a night of frost in the middle of September. Just light enough to cause some damage. Cucumber plants apparently hate the frost more the other plants as it didn't survive while all the others did. What was odd is it was also browning and drying out. I admit I wasn't watering  as much as I should but for it to die off surprised me. That cost me 6 cucumbers.

The tomato plant is still going nuts. 34 tomatoes on it now and I have picked 6 or so off of it of varying sizes. Something I did not know about tomatoes is they do not have to ripen on the vine. Several fell off while green and I collected them with the debate of making fried green tomatoes. 4-5 days later they were firm tasty red tomatoes having transformed on my kitchen counter.

The main obstacle last month was the sun. Living in a townhome, the only land I have is on the north side of the house. I do not think it gets direct sunlight anymore at all during the day.  In August I noticed the amount of time was decreasing of direct sunlight. Its something I will have to take into consideration next year.

I am pretty hopeful though that next year will work. As with advancing my education and knowledge for the Model Portfolio the same holds true for gardening. Next time will be more profitable. I only used 1 of my 2 raised garden beds this year, I'm more aware of proper placement of which vegetables need to be next to what.

I have 1 pumpkin, 1 squash, 2 green bell peppers, and the 30 or so tomatoes that I might still be able to get this year. I only have 1 more month though and that is if I am lucky.

Total cost of the raised gardens: $154
Total cost of the seedlings: $27
Total cost of the pre-grown plants: $46.50
Total cost: $227.50


Total profit: $6.50 from 2.5 lbs of tomatoes, 2 green bell peppers, 1 yellow bell pepper, and a lot of experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment