Friday, July 1, 2011

Dividend Investing: 2 - Research

Starting out with investing has enough obstacles for the new investor that finding information to start the research process shouldn't be one of them...

EDIT: At the time this blog entry was posted I had a Youtube video here. That has been removed but I want the rest of my content to be remain. Nothing hidden no past mistakes ignored. All out in the open.

I was hoping to get this entry and video out on Wednesday but all that editing derailed that plan.
The duration in how long of a video it captures leaves something to be desired. At about the 8-10 minute mark it creates a file too big to handle and doesn't save. The screen capturing part of the video alone took me about an hour of redoing it trying to figure things out. The editing? Yeah for some reason 1 minute of screen capturing resulted in 100MB of file size!

In the end though I am really pleased how it turned out. The clarity turned out nice and when reformatting the data it compiles down to a very reasonable size. It's definitely something I have been meaning to do so I can share what I am looking at with you guys. Learning video editing isn't unlile learning investing and trading. You just have to roll up your sleeves and jump in to reading, learning, and testing.

As to the research process itself, I use all of these tools. Each shows different aspects of a company with some overlap but some uniqueness. The important thing is to get a real deep understanding of the company we might be investing in. This way there will be less chances of an "Oopps I didn't think of that before losing 50% of my money" moments.


Disclaimer: The investments and trades in my videos and blog entries are not recommendations for others.
I am not a financial planner, financial advisor, accountant, or tax advisor. The financial actions I talk about are for my own portfolio and money and only suited for my own risk tolerance, strategy, and ideas. Copying another person's financial moves can lead to large losses. Each person needs to do their due diligence in researching and planning their own actions in the financial markets.

No comments:

Post a Comment