Thursday, July 21, 2011

Blog format update

Just some quick notes as I have some sharp eyed readers...

In my other portfolios I have rather complex and... well odd Excel spreadsheets. I haven't found a good way to share Excel on Blogger so I am having to use Google Spreadsheets. I suppose I could screenshot Excel and then post that but that is a bit more work then needs to be.
And really its probably for the best. My Excel spreadsheets were easy to follow only because I was the one to make it. Looking at it from anyone else's perspective I had to ask myself.... "What the @$#% is all this?"

So I am converting everything over to Google Spreadsheets but not all of the bookkeeping numbers are yet needed for the Model Portfolio. As they come up I will need to re-edit and alter the formatting of my existing formats. Note these will only be in the spreadsheets themselves not in the overall blog format.

For the Investing account I added a dividend tab. I wanted it to be in the same format as the main account summary page but Google Spreadsheets has a problem I didn't find out until yesterday. It does not handle a large amount of columns nearly as well as Excel. Eventually in a couple years I will have too many month columns and it will bog down and potentially crash. I figured I would save time and just start off with it having the rows as months.

Why bother tracking dividends on a monthly basis? Couldn't I just save time and columns some other way? As this is an income portfolio I need a "raw data" page where all the other calculations can take place. This will also make it easier to compare my numbers with my monthly broker statements so I can avoid as many mistakes as I can that I referenced in a previous post. As the goal of the Model Portfolio is to generate monthly income to live off of, keeping track of income on a monthly basis will show all sorts of things that a running total would not.

Lastly, I added a dividend calendar spreadsheet.  The first tab is the estimated ex-dividend dates to show me when I can no longer make an investment for a particular dividend. The second tab is the estimated payment date when I can expect to get the dividends into my accounts. Note these are estimated dates. Companies can and will fluctuate them.

I like to keep an eye on what companies have up and coming dividends to help me decide where to add to positions.  Let me tell you, there are few things more frustrating in dividend investing then buying a 20% yield stock on the ex-div date because you thought you had some more time. Now I can see what is coming up in the next week or two and research exact dates.
And if nothing else.... I am a man who likes numbers and graphs lol.


Disclaimer: The investments and trades in my videos and blog entries are not recommendations for others.
I am not a financial planner, financial advisor, accountant, or tax advisor. The financial actions I talk about are for my own portfolio and money and only suited for my own risk tolerance, strategy, and ideas. Copying another person's financial moves can lead to large losses. Each person needs to do their due diligence in researching and planning their own actions in the financial markets

No comments:

Post a Comment