Monday, September 9, 2013

Deposit Day 9-9-13

When I ran my Model Portfolio I had the deposit come in on Mondays. I stated its a good way to start your work week and I still hold to that belief. When you are sitting at your desk looking at your work calendar of boring meetings and emails, you can get he satisfaction that you are making progress on your goals.

Deposit
The investing account is getting both its $250 and the discretionary $250 this pay period. My recent purchases of POT, IBM, and AAPL have left the cash position too low. Before this deposit it was sitting at 12.43%. My goal is to have it at 10%-15%. That way if I find a new company like IBM, or a company that has a dramatic drop presenting an opportunity like POT did, then I want to be ready to act.
However I still want to be able to make a regular investment once per pay period so I will need both deposits this time.

Where is that savings account?
Last Deposit day I said I was going to open a new savings account. I have the money set aside and ready but my problem is I have yet to pick one.

What I really want out of a savings account is a high yielding CD, with the account tied to a checking account's debit card, AND that if I use the debit card it will cash out a CD to cover it. I doubt that exists but I am looking for one.

Historic Dividends
I was looking at Dividend Mantra's site and saw he has a historic dividends section. While I have explained why I have explained why I removed my old posts, I still have the history and progress of the account itself that I have shared. I don't see a problem with sharing the total income of past months. Hard to believe it all started with that one single PCY dividend  of $1.26.

I would like to hear from you guys on your thoughts of the historic dividends. Is it disingenuous to have hidden past posts but want to reveal the past dividends? Or does it fall under a "Pully its your blog go for it!"
The reason I ask is that I have a pet peeve of people who try to hide past mistakes and performance and hide things. Absolutely hate it, I feel it may be (but not always is) a kin to deceit.


Disclaimer: The investments and trades discussed are not recommendations for others. I am not a financial planner, financial advisor, accountant, or tax adviser. The financial actions I talk about are for my own portfolio and money and only suited for my own risk tolerance, strategy, and ideas. Copying another person's financial moves can lead to large losses. Each person needs to do their due diligence in researching and planning their own actions in the financial markets.

2 comments:

  1. Historic dividends are a tough nut to crack as the fed's rate has been on the floor for a very long time now, so the data may not reveal anything truly useful. I do not think you will find a debit card vehicle like what you are looking for simply due to the nature of what a CD is, which has to do with a deposit certified for a time. What you can do is if you go with a ladder system, keep a portion of that savings in cash available for withdraw with the other capitol laddered up for example.

    If I were shopping for a CD right now, firstly, I would go with a highly reputed bank that hasn't had as much trouble as the other big TARP entities. Also, I would definitely ladder as being locked into a low rate while the fed is looking at scaling back on QE may be a less profitable, then being able to roll into an updated CD package every six months or however long.

    Regarding account deposits, for me, I need to do it as soon as possible, or the money will be gone. That means grabbing the cash the Thursday before my pay deposit, as there is no way it will survive the kinds of weekends I like to have.

    Just my $0.02

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, crap, I just realized you were talking about your dividends not those for the CDs. If you want to share the dividends but not the posts that is more than fine. Or, heck even just post yield percentages... There really isn't a need to get specific, those who can understand the details are doing there own thing, and those who cannot understand the details wouldn't get anything more from full historic disclosure.

      Delete