Sunday, August 11, 2013

Rebirth

Well that is that.

The Youtube channel has been ended. All the videos have been set to private except for the good-bye video. I won't link that video here, if any of you want to see it you can go see it. Some of you might be thinking "What now?"  In the video though, note that I said I am closing the Youtube channel. Nothing about this blog.

For the past two years I've spent time attempting to teach others what I know and at times that meant spending time and energy on things that didn't help me. The ETF Portfolio was a great example as I don't have an interest in equity ETFs nor running Permanent Portfolio. That's taken up a lot of my time. For those of you who have never made a youtube video.... each one can take an hour or more. To make the video, redo it if its of poor quality, wait for it to compile, upload it, wait for Youtube to compile. It was crazy.

Its now time to focus on my efforts instead of splitting the time and thats what I will do with this blog going forward. This will now become a progress blog detailing my own steps to becoming financially independent. What I am reading and thinking as well as the actual financial choices I am taking. No theoretical family, no imaginary portfolios that I have no interest in.

I could have started a new blog and perhaps a new online name. When I thought about that though it felt disingenuous.  Like I was trying to hide something or pretend the past didn't happen. It serves no purpose to you the reader because it gives less insight for you as to who I am and where I am coming from. It serves no purpose to me because our past actions and decisions are what makes us who we are. They are to be learned from, not ignored.

However, I've hidden my old posts. Not to hide anything of my past, I will still talk about and admit to my Enerplus (ERF) investment. But those blog posts were mostly placeholders to showcase a video. As I was looking at them without the context of the video that used to be there, they were not independent entries meriting anyone's time in reading them without a video explaining things.

Its a new fresh start and one I am rather happy about. I find it interesting how relieved I am now to have gotten rid of the Youtube channel. Like an anchor removed. Not that I will not be trying to help others. I will. Its a part of who I am. Just in a different way.



Disclaimer: The investments and trades discussed are not recommendations for others. I am not a financial planner, financial advisor, accountant, or tax adviser. The financial actions I talk about are for my own portfolio and money and only suited for my own risk tolerance, strategy, and ideas. Copying another person's financial moves can lead to large losses. Each person needs to do their due diligence in researching and planning their own actions in the financial markets.

9 comments:

  1. Working at a job when you are away from home for more than 8 hours a day and making videos that take time ( a lot longer then a text entry)one can only wonder where you got the time.

    I couldn't imagine doing this.

    Good luck to you in your future endevours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your video can't be found. It might be set to where you need a link to access it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny enough on my very last video I made, I processed and edited the wrong one and had to do it.

      There should be just 1 video visible now.

      Delete
  3. Looking forward to seeing where you take this.

    I understand it must be difficult managing three portfolios, even if 2 were passive. That's a lot of work on your part. I could also tell trading wasn't natural for you. Takes a lot of time, which is in short supply for those working full time.

    I really liked your video approach however. Personally I want to stay anonymous which is why I won't do videos. In fact I have yet to tell anyone in real life about my blogging endeavors at all. I rarely talk money outside the internet except with my dad and closest friend. Even they don't know everything (I don't post all my assets on my blog either). Bottom line: other people don't need to know how much money I have. It's quite private and not something I want to broadcast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was another big debate. Aside from the work, I enjoyed the video format too. But being anonymous, or moving back towards it is nice too. I think I was wanting a bit more of that.

      Smart to not post all your assets. Fully agree with you too that people don't need to know all of a person's wealth. Just enough for understanding process.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for offering insight over the years. Good Luck.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow I remember watching your videos ages ago it seems. You managed to consistently have new material to discuss that I found interesting. I can understand how much work that must have been. Best of luck with the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nooo sir please please please don't set the videos on private. I'm a high school senior and found your videos last year. I stopped watching for a while, but now that I'm getting back into investing, I scoured the Internet to find your videos only to discover this post! Please do reconsider. I'm sure I'm not the only person who really gained a lot from your insight. Even if you could send me a links to a few I'd be so appreciative. Mt email is zaruta@yahoo.con and I hope I can hear from you soon!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the kind words in how my videos have helped. Unfortunately I'm firm in my stance of removing myself and my face from youtube.
      I will however continue this blog. My thoughts and ideas are the same just that they will be in text form rather then video.

      Delete