Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Garden Project: Final 2011 results

As winter has set in and thus my garden has run its course, its time I take a look at this year's garden and determine if it can save a family money that could be applied towards building income.

I didn't get much more produce out of the garden as we had some nights of frost. For all the talk of how tomatoes die quickly in the frost they survived more then everything else apart from the pumpkin. That didn't turn orange for me.

As with demo trading the Forex, my gains in the beginning are all about knowledge and experience. I had lots of setbacks that I would consider newbie mistakes. My seedlings didn't get a lot of direct sunlight. I left them out in the heavy wind and they blew over drying out forcing me to buy potted plants. I found out pumpkins are A-holes. Seriously. I had to keep cutting vines off because the vines would grow towards the other plants. The leaves would grow up and over other plants stealing their sun. Worse, they would grow vines wrapping around the stalks of other plants trying to kill them! I didn't even get a pumpkin out of the deal though come to think of it the pumpkin plant probably did it out of spite and revenge.

What I did manage to grow with the time I had and the space I used? I have no doubt this can easily help out a family's budget and for those truly struggling this may be their only chance for fresh vegetables and vitamins. I already have plans for improvement next year. Starting earlier, getting some grow lights, better positioning for sunlight exposure and making use of the 2nd raised bed. I'll carry over my costs to the next year before I apply any profits towards the . I would feel like I was "cooking my books" if I didn't.

One last comment on this Garden Project. The rewards here go beyond the dollar amounts that can be saved and applied to investing and trading though that was the main goal. After spending all day working on excel spreadsheets, office meetings, and sorting through a hundred emails to come home and sort through technical analysis of Forex charts.... there is something to be said for the zen like simplicity of the sound of hose water striking the leaves on my garden.

Total cost of the raised gardens: $154
Total cost of the seedlings: $27
Total cost of the pre-grown plants: $46.50
Total cost: $227.50

Total profit: $15.50 from 5 lbs of tomatoes ($2.50/lb), 2 green bell peppers ($1 each), 1 yellow bell pepper ($1.50 each), and a lot of experience.


Disclaimer: The investments and trades in my videos and blog entries are not recommendations for others.
I am not a financial planner, financial advisor, accountant, or tax adviser. The financial actions I talk about are for my own portfolio and money and only suited for my own risk tolerance, strategy, and ideas. Copying another person's financial moves can lead to large losses. Each person needs to do their due diligence in researching and planning their own actions in the financial markets

No comments:

Post a Comment